By Law you are required to pay statutory sick pay (SSP) to all employees who are ill and qualify for sick pay. Sage 50 Payroll contains the most up-to-date legislation and makes it easy to process sick pay by calculating SSP values for you.
Set up the employee’s qualifying day pattern
The first think you need to do is setup the employees qualifying day pattern.
- Click Payroll, then Change Process Date.
- Enter the required process date, then click OK.
- Double-click the employee, then click Absence.
- Click S.P. then click the Qualifying Days tab, and entered the required pattern.
- Click OK then Save.
Qualifying patterns in Sage 50 Payroll always run from Sunday to Saturday which can’t be changed. Within a qualifying day pattern:
- N denotes a non-qualifying, or non-working, day
- Q denotes a qualifying, or working, day
For example, if an employee works Monday to Friday their qualifying day pattern is NQQQQQN.
To ensure that your holidays and absence calculate correctly, you must set up a qualifying day pattern before you enter details on an employee’s absence diary.
Enter the absence details
- Select the employee, click Payroll.
- Click Enter Payments, click SSP/Parental Leave.
- Click and drag to select the date range.
- Right-click and click SSP, the Due to sickness.
- If applicable, enter a comment, then click OK.
- Check the absence diary displays the correct characters for the dates you entered.
- x – Waiting day within the pay period, not yet updated.
- p – Paid day within a pay period, not yet updated
- – – Non-qualifying day within a pay period, not yet updated. For example, a Saturday or a Sunday if the employee works Monday to Friday.
- If the characters are incorrect, you may need to change the qualifying day period.
- Check the S.S.P. Payable box displays the correct amount of SSP for the current pay period.
- Check the S.S.P. Weeks box displays the correct number of weeks.
- If a warning message appears stating that the employee’s earnings average earnings are too low, click OK.
- Click Records S.S.P., then click No.
- Click Earnings during set period, click OK.
- Check the payment information.
- The values in table automatically update when you process and update the relevant pay periods and can’t then be amended.
- Click OK, then Save, Close.
- Click Save.
If you help recording and processing SSP or need any other help or advice with your payroll please contact us on.
Telephone 01691 684011/654545
Email: [email protected]
We can also provide a remote access service where we can directly link into your computer to help you resolve your Sage Accounts or Payroll problems.